Welcome stranger/friend!

Thanks for visiting! I truly appreciate each and every visitor! Have fun browsing and reading my blog. Feel free to comment whenever the desire strikes. Have a great day/night!

Friday, January 31, 2014

Review: The 100

The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan
My Copy: Hardcover, 323 pages
Publication Date: August 29, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Source: Library
Genre: Dystopian | Science Fiction | Young Adult
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.

I was rather disappointed with The 100 as a whole.  I loved the idea behind it and had high hopes, but it just wasn't a very interesting story overall.  I don't feel that Kass delivered as well as a premise like this should have been delivered.  I instantly knew I wanted to read this book after seeing the trailer for the TV Series, which looks way better than the actual book.  Check out the trailer:



Now, that trailer makes the book look so completely awesome, right?  Yeah, no.  I can tell now, after reading the book, that they are changing A LOT for the TV adaptation.  But, changing it for the better.  It looks a lot more interesting and like more stuff is actually going to happen.

I felt like nothing much happened on Earth in the book.  There was very little adventure, which you would expect a lot of from a premise like this, no?  I sure did.  I was actually quite bored when reading about the kids that were on Earth, which again is strange.  The 100 kids on Earth were the focus of the book, and yet it was the least interesting to me.  I was way more interested in the parts about the ship.  Glass's chapters, which took place on the ship, and the flashbacks of the other characters were my favourite parts.  They were just much more interesting to me.  I wish there was more of a focus on the ship, rather than Earth, since Earth was boring.  Even though it shouldn't have been!  I really think that the premise for this story had a lot of potential, but just wasn't presented well.

It was weird, too, that there were 100 kids on Earth and it hardly ever felt like it.  For the majority of the book, it felt like only a small group of about 10.  I didn't get the sense that there were supposed to be 100.

I really didn't care for the names of the 4 main characters.  First of all, Bellamy is a boy.  Doesn't seem like a boy's name; Bellamy sounds like a girl's name to me.  I found it very distracting at first, actually.  I kept having to remind myself that I was reading about a boy for his first couple chapters.  The other names were weird as well.  Clarke - a girl.  Glass - a girl.  Wells - a boy.  Okay, I get that Kass wanted unique and different names because it's set in the future and all -- and I do agree that names should be different when the setting is futuristic -- but I just didn't happen to like the ones she chose.  But, that's just my opinion.  What do you think??

Ugh, the ending.  Okay, the ending should have happened waaaay sooner.  I felt like the story was just getting started and then it ended.  What happened at the end should have happened earlier -- like, maybe halfway through the book -- and then carried on from there.  Now THAT would have been a much more interesting book, I think.


Page 20 - Bellamy's a boy's name??

Page 28 - Okay, I hate the name Bellamy

Page 155 - Waiting for something interesting to happen on earth...

Page 214 - Aww :(

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

6 comments:

  1. Another one I probably won't read. There is going to be a TV show? That might be worth watching. Laughing at your reactions while reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Did you watch the trailer? It looks really good. I'm definitely going to check out the show.

      Delete
  2. No, I actually did not watch the trailor. Scrolling up to watch it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, trailer, typo LOL! It does look like it will be interesting. I tend to watch little TV but I might tune in for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right - the synopsis of this book makes it sound really awesome. What a shame that the book didn't live up to the idea!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :( I have high hopes for the TV show though! Hope it doesn't disappoint like the book did.

      Delete

I love when people comment on my posts! I very much enjoy reading your opinions, so please share them with me (and with others)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search the web: